This page has moved to a new address.

Friday Feature with Asperjasper

Natural Kids: Friday Feature with Asperjasper

Friday, July 2, 2010

Friday Feature with Asperjasper


Tell us little about yourself!
I am a stay at home Mum to two little boys (Asher and Jasper). We play and read and visit friends and parks and dig in the dirt and sand a lot :) There is also a large amount of train and car action around here.
I am originally from England and moved to the States to be with my Californian husband who I met on a painting trip to Italy. We fell instantly in love and 15 years later, we still adore each other.
I have a painting and drawing background. I completed my BFA in England and my MFA in the States. Since I started needle felting I haven't picked up a paintbrush!


What do you make and how long have you been creating?
I make needle felted toys and collectibles for all ages and have been felting since October 2008. I began needle felting after watching a YouTube video on the subject and was instantly hooked.

What inspires you?
Anything and everything. Color and texture is very important to me and sometimes just buying a new color roving can inspire me to make a certain animal or egg set.

What got you started working with wool?
I was looking for ideas of natural toys to make for a friend's little girl for Christmas. I came across needle felting and just took to the craft right away. I love the feel of wool and the many textures and colors you can find out there. I really see it an alternative to paint.

How long have you been on Etsy and how has it been for you so far?
I signed up in April 08 as a customer and then started selling in October 08. It's been a fun ride so far with crazy busy spells around the holidays!

What advice would you have for other Etsians?
Make the best most professional product possible. Be different from everyone else. Take great pics. Take care of your customers. Open up Facebook fan page :)

What do you hope to learn/gain/contribute from being part of the Natural Kids group?
I love that I can be a part of a group of like-minded artists who have a passion for creating safe and wonderful products for our children. Being a part of this team gives the customer an easy go-to place to find those specialized things.

What thoughts do you have for parents on the importance of natural toys for creative play?
The environment is completely different in a room with natural toys than in a room with battery-operated plastic toys - quieter, more beautiful, and inviting in a very different way, and the child is calmer because of it.

Your items can be found where:
http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
http://www.flickr.com/asherjasper
http://www.faecbook.com/asherjasper

Interview by Beccijo of The Enchanted Cupboard

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger dadswoodentoys said...

I love how tightly felted your items appear to be. They are very beautiful.

July 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger The Sitting Tree said...

Your painting background really shines through!! Each item is a little piece of art!

July 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger MuddyFeet said...

I think it is really wonderful how the different styles of all the Natural Kids members shine through. Even though many of us work with wool, each creation is so very unique. Yours are so fun! I especially love the little monsters in the egg cartons!

July 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Tonya Gunn said...

Your felting is amazing!

July 4, 2010 at 5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home