This page has moved to a new address.

Friday Feature with Dad's Wooden Toys

Natural Kids: Friday Feature with Dad's Wooden Toys

Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Feature with Dad's Wooden Toys

Today's interview is with our resident poet, Josh, of Dad's Wooden Toys. Enjoy!

Tell us little about yourself!
I am married with 4 wonderful kids
On them I am not taking bids
I have 7 yr old, 2 yr old and 4 yr old twins
each of them special no one of them wins
we live in Michigan just as I did
years ago when I was a kid
My favorite pass times involve the outdoors
that's where I'll be if I'm done with my chores
I love to be with my family camping or hiking
or in our front yard with everyone biking


What do you make and how long have you been creating?
As my name states  "Dads Wooden Toys"
I have play things for both girls and boys
I believe imagination is good
that is why every thing here is all wood
It's natural and nontoxic you see
the way I think more things should be
no chemicals paints or dyes
just wood with out any disguise
My toys are simple yet real
they don't have a cartoony feel
So come take a look at my wood figure zoo
then buy some so you can have wood critters too.

What inspires you?
My kids and their love for all of God's creatures
inspired most of the toys that my shop features
I want for  my kids to actively play
so I avoid toys they would just watch most the day
When you give kids a toy that's hand made
it changes slightly how it gets played.
The toy is a toy but also a reminder
their mind is the actual toy and fun finder
the toy teaches kids that the things they may need
aren't always bought on a treadmill of greed
instead one must give their thinker a chance
to find the solution for their circumstance

What got you started working with wooden toys?
When my wife and I went searching to find
toys that were natural and good for the mind
The toys every where made noise and light
but I think the kids not the toys should be bright
I decided I'd just have to make some instead
Dads Wooden Toys is where all of that led
I started with toys for just my kids
and getting from friends occasional bids
"Your toys should be on Etsy online"
said some whose advice was almost Divine

How long have you been on Etsy, and how has it been for you so far?
I started on Etsy in December 08
My experience I would say has been great
It takes just pennies to open a store
My toys are now seen by people galore
I reached so many places without a sales call
East coast and west coast and no coast at all
I love Etsy for of what it can do
it shows folks my toys the entire globe through
without it I only have so many friends
my income would stop when that list ends

What advice would you have for other Etsians?
I can always think of plenty to say
but there is limited room in this display
I could rant about pricing as I did here
or why competition is reason to cheer
Instead I'll give just this tid bit
do something you love you should enjoy it
getting a sale is the cherry on top
but it is not what gives life or makes it stop
life's greatest joy is in your friends
not how fat your cash roll is when it bends

What do you hope to learn/gain/contribute from being part of the Natural Kids group?
This group of sellers are truly great
every one I consider top rate
I constantly learn from this great crew
daily it seems there is something new
answers to questions I did not yet ask
tips and tricks or advice on a task
a tool or site that will help me to grow
my appreciation I can barely show
I try to contribute what little I know
As others do too even tough answers flow

What thoughts do you have for parents on the importance of natural toys for creative play?
I enjoy the assurance that these toys won't conflict
with the values my family and I want to depict
when buying the latest of a cartoon craze
a parent is tied to the values they praise
if that character lies or sasses its dad
then I promote that to my little lad
The toys in our store don't come from a script
you can rest easy no values are shipped
Our toys come to you, a perfect blank slate
the lessons to learn are yours to create
I also enjoy the comforting fact
that natural toys left long enough stacked
will eventually return into the ground
leaving nothing unhealthy that could be found
many new toys are destined to fill
a garbage dump somewhere disguised as a hill

Is there anything you must have when creating: music, coffee, quiet, etc?
To create, what I need is to be alone.
but, with four kids about who aren't very grown
That doesn't happen until ther're asleep
only then are they still not uttering a peep
Sanders, saw blades, and toddlers don't mix
So it isn't till late that I get my  fix
Of creating new toys to sell you online
I'm up late most nights, but I do not mind



Links:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Dadswoodentoys
http://www.dadswoodentoys.blogspot.com/

Today's interview by Kat, of kats in the belfry.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger germandolls said...

Love this interwiew! Amazing how it all rhymes and makes so much sense! 3 cheers for the dad on our team!

September 17, 2010 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger eidolons said...

I lovelovelove Dad's Wooden Toys. I bought a whole mess of them for my boys for the winter solstice. It's been especially hard keeping them secret until December!

September 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

"Sanders, saw blades and toddlers don't mix" indeed! Thanks for this interview. Dad's Wooden Toys is a great member of the team.

September 17, 2010 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger woolies said...

Awesome shop! Does he always think in rhyme as well as write in rhyme?

September 17, 2010 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

I loved reading your interview. You have a beautiful family! I especially love the cowboy/horse, what a great idea. Look forward to hearing more rhymes :) Best wishes

September 17, 2010 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous EvesLittleEarthlings said...

Excellent article! I have one of Dad's wolves and I enjoy looking at and handling it! (ok, I play with it a bit)

September 17, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Anonymous cutelittlething said...

"The toy is a toy but also a reminder
their mind is the actual toy and fun finder
the toy teaches kids that the things they may need
aren't always bought on a treadmill of greed
instead one must give their thinker a chance
to find the solution for their circumstance" I love this about "Dad's Wooden Toys!!!!"

September 17, 2010 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger FairiesNest said...

I love this post with the Naturalkids team Bard! It's always nice to have a face to put with shop names, Hi Dad!

September 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger mrsbeccijo said...

Love all the personality that comes out in these interviews! Great shop!!

September 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Banana Bottoms Cloth Diapers said...

Lovely interview ~ love this shop :)

September 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger germandolls said...

GO team! So much talent here. Except for the person who didn't know how to spell interview...that would be me. I guess I was really thinking: Interwow! ;) Wow, Dad!

September 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Kim van Waardenburg said...

WOw such a great poem-like intervieuw!! Whishing I could do that too:) I love your toys and it is true they are blank for the kids to play with .
Thanks!!

September 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger Yarn Miracle said...

*wild applause**

September 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger dadswoodentoys said...

Thanks for saying such kind things
I love the joy I know it brings

to make a toy loved by a child
or write a poem and hear you smiled

September 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

September 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home