This page has moved to a new address.

Interview with Tickety Bu

Natural Kids: Interview with Tickety Bu

Friday, February 25, 2011

Interview with Tickety Bu

This week we take a close up look at Tickety Bu™ with our talk with owner and fabric artist Kristi. 

Tell us a bit about you.
Hi! I'm Kristi. I am a former marketing executive, become stay at home mom, become fiber artist and photography hobbiest. I live in New York with my husband Michael and our three kids, Lorelai, Magnus and Xander. We love living here as it gives us a chance to visit so much history and this area is so beautiful.


Tell us about Tickety Bu.
I started Tickety Bu based on my prefold design. Specifically made for my heavy wetting son, they are made in the traditional way, a 2x4x2 layer prefold from highly absorbent bamboo cotton blend. Shortly after I opened, my daughter asked me to make her a blanket. She had never taken to a lovey or a comfort object, so her interest in a blanket was surprising, but exciting. She was my first Cuddle Blanket customer and after her first one, she promptly ordered two more! The Cuddle Blanket quickly became the cornerstone of my line and was the spring board for the entire Bu blanket collection.

Tickety Bu products are always designed with the experience with the product in mind. It's the perfect marriage of high function with extreme comfort.

People have asked me, why Tickety Bu? Tickety Bu, also spelled Tickety Boo and Tiggerty Boo, is a phrase that means, "everything's alright". There is argument whether it originated in England, Scotland or India and may have come from a Hindi expression "tickee babu" which means "all alright". It seemed to fit why I love bamboo and why I started the company and honestly, I like the sound of it. It harkens back to a simpler life, just the way things should be.

Tickety Bu is the natural extension of what my life is about right now. Getting back to basics, embracing the simpler, finer things in life and doing what I enjoy.

 

What do you make and how long have you been creating?
Simply said, I make comfort. Luxurious blankets of all sizes, incredibly soft and absorbent hooded towels, diapers and wipes, all created to comfort you and your little ones.

I've been creating since I can remember. I've always been creating something. Whether it be art, design (I am a design school grad), advertising, or fabrics, I've always been creating. I guess it's in my blood.


What got you started in your craft?
My desire to have something better. I was not happy with the cloth diapers on the market. My son was the heaviest wetter I'd ever seen and nothing held him, but I was in love with prefolds. So, I made my own, the way I wanted them out of the fabrics I wanted to use. It's the same with all my products, they are all born out of need for something better, something softer and something prettier. But really I guess I got started in my craft in college when I dyed fabric for the first time. My work as a dyer is where my heart is, the products I make are my canvas.


What's your favorite thing you have ever made?
It's so hard to pick! And, it changes regularly, although it's always a colorway. I did make a Cuddle Blanket once with my daughter. She picked all the colors herself, she applied the dye, she helped me sew the blanket. It was a labor of love that the both of us thoroughly enjoyed. I am amazed at her enthusiasm for creating things and how she looks at the world. That blanket will always have a special place in my heart.


How long have you been on Etsy and how has it been for you so far?
Since middle of last year. Etsy has been a lot of fun so far. I love the community and the support that Etsy provides.

What advice do you have for other Etsy artisans?
The advice I would have for any artisan, Etsy or other, is to do something unique. Carve out your own niche, your own path, your own take on the world and your work. It will help differentiate you from the crowd and create a brand that can stand for something. And of course, do what you love. Because if you do what you love then you'll love what you do.

What do you hope to gain or contribute to the Natural Kids group?
Being new to Etsy it's great to have support from those who have been here longer and know the ins and outs. I'm not new to business though and having an extensive background in marketing and design, I'm sure I can contribute to the strength of the Natrual Kids brand.

What thoughts do you have for parents on the importance of natural toys for creative play?
For me it's not just about natural toys for creative play, it's about surrounding ourselves and our family with anything and everything we can that is natural. Just as natural foods make for a healthier body, natural toys make for a healthier and happier child. Natural toys inspire the most creative play and creative play is the key to expanding our child's minds.

Find Tickety Bu and Kristi at:
ticketybu.com
facebook.com/TicketyBu
ticketybu.blogspot.com

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice to see an interview as Kristi's work is amazing. . .thanks!

February 25, 2011 at 6:15 AM  
Blogger germandolls said...

Thanks for sharing! I always love to see a picture of the artist. Your blankets and kids items look soft and comforting!

February 25, 2011 at 6:19 AM  
Blogger mrsbeccijo said...

Great interview, I love to sit with a warm cup of tea and read these on Friday!
Nice to get to meet our new member!

February 25, 2011 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger FairiesNest said...

What beautiful blankets! They just say come cuddle with me. :)

February 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Katie Nachman said...

Love! I'm so glad our house is full of Bu Blankets...all shapes and sizes too!

February 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home