This page has moved to a new address.

Tutorial: How to make lavender play dough

Natural Kids: Tutorial: How to make lavender play dough

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tutorial: How to make lavender play dough

I have found this to be the perfect afternoon activity to do with my daughter. She helped me make our first batch and I have since given it away as birthday gifts. Here is what you will need:

1 cup sea salt
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp cream of tartar
Food Colouring
Lavender Essential Oil

Step 1: Put all ingredients into a large pot over low heat and stir.


Step 2: Keep stirring! While the mixture is starting to firm up, add in 10 drops of lavender essential oil. I sometimes use 8 drops of lavender 2 of rosemary. The first batch I ever made I just used 6 drops. I can smell the lavender but it wasn't quite enough for my taste. It is easy to add more so start off small and keep adding to suit your taste. I like using lavender because of its antibacterial properties.


Step 4: Once the dough starts to get too firm to mix and really starts pulling away from the sides of the pot, let it cool a few minutes until it can be handled. Then take it out of the pot and kneed it until soft and smooth. If after a bit of kneading it is sticky, add a touch more flour or place back in to the pot and warm up again. If it is too stiff, wet your hands with water and knead the dough again.


Step 5: Form the dough into balls. I make three balls for the primary colours. Create an indent in the ball and add food colouring there. Kneed again until food colouring is equally distributed. You can then colour combine. Blue and red = purple, Yellow and blue = green and so forth.

Step 6: Create! Play! Mould and Sculpt! Or... let cool to room temperature and then store in an air tight container in the fridge when not in use. I have had my batch for a couple of months now and it is still going strong. Once it starts getting funky, toss it and make more. Creations can be baked. You will have to experiment with your own oven for temperature and duration. Enjoy.


Written by Rachel from OAST

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Lana said...

Thanks for this, I will give it a try. I have made play dough in the past with only cooking oil and it's a bit nasty! Lavender sounds dreamy! Does it help prevent mould, too? This is a problem where I live!

August 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Pininkie said...

Wow - super post! Thanks so much for sharing. We shall give it a go.

August 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Rachel/ OAST Waldorf Dolls and Crafts said...

Lana, I am not sure but know that helps keep bacteria down. The biggest thing I have found is that putting it back in a tupperware container right after using and putting it in the fridge really helps. Good luck!

August 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I've never tried this before. Thanks for the how-to!

August 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger germandolls said...

It looks really nice. How do you wrap it when you give it away as a gift?

August 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger I.B. said...

It’s good! I think a useful resource.
Bob http://findpromocoupon.blogspot.com

August 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger heather said...

i love the idea of adding lavender oil! we've made play doh dozens of times, but i never thought to add essential oils! what a wonderful (and relaxing!) idea :)

August 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger The Sitting Tree said...

We make salt dough all the time and I never thought of adding essential oils:) Thanks!

August 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Mike said...

Imma might try this to prevent mold. Seriously, it really can?

August 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home