This page has moved to a new address.

Friday Interview with Dayanra of Pin Pon

Natural Kids: Friday Interview with Dayanra of Pin Pon

Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Interview with Dayanra of Pin Pon


Today's interview is with NaturalKids team member Dayanra of the Etsy shop, Pin Pon. Dayanra is the creator of wonderfully original and whimsical plushies that all seem to have an such an innate sweetness of spirit that just perusing her shop will brighten your day! So let's get to know her a little better......

Tell us a little bit about yourself and how and when did you get started with arts and crafts?

Hi! My name is Dayanara Garcia. I grew up in North Suburban Chicago; I now live in the city. Well, I first discovered my artistic abilities when I was about 7 years old in Mrs. Levy’s 3rd grade class. I went to Columbia College, and studied Illustration and Advertising Art there. I also have a CDA certificate in Early Childhood Education.
So the story is, a friend let me borrow a sewing machine one day, and I never gave it back! I later bought her a new one. I shut myself in a room and taught myself how to sew. A local Artist Rep saw my work at a small store and took everything off the wall and put it in her Showroom, and that was the start of my doll making business. My style has evolved since then.



What is the main thing you make and sell in your store? What else do you make and/or sell?
I make and sell handmade dolls and softies that I design myself, mostly spontaneous, and I only make patterns for some, just to make them more one of a kind and after making dozens of the same doll for years, I can‘t do it anymore, it burned me out! I also venture into painting, beading, and making fun party hats.

Who if anyone has been instrumental in helping you hone your craft?
My Parents have always encouraged me, and let me do my own thing when I was growing up. I was the only 10 year old with a field easel at the park, while others played. Also my Young Women Leaders at church helped me develop my “talents” through Personal Progress, which is like earning your Eagle Scouts badge in Boy Scouts. When I moved to California, I started working at Handmade Galleries (Sherman Oaks, on Ventura Blvd.). The support and friendships that developed there have been so important to me in my craft and the way I conduct business. Great people.


What are your favorite materials?

I mostly work with cotton fabrics, but I always try to use natural materials. I do this because they are the most comforting to children, and also I remember having really awful skin irritations, allergies, and asthma as a kid and anything could set it off, except cotton! Cotton is still my best friend.



What advice would you give other Etsy sellers and those interested in opening up a shop?

The only advice I can give to anyone who wants to sell their work is, don’t quit your day job. It takes time to develop your own identity, and take a business class. I learned the hard way. Be true to yourself and always be open to new ideas and mediums, inspiration can come from anywhere. If it’s no longer making you happy stop, do something else and it will always come back better and with greater purpose.


What is your Etsy shop address and name? Where else can we find you?
You can find my stuff at: www.dayanra.etsy.com
You can convo me for more info, or if you just want to talk
If you’re in the Chicago area you can come by any of the Events and Openings at The Cuentos Foundation, I’ll be there. www.cuentosfoundation.org


Thanks for reading another Friday Interview!

-Cynthia

The Fairies Nest

7 Comments:

Blogger germandolls said...

Thanks for that great interview! I love all those dolls and critters. Very inspiring post!

October 24, 2008 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger MaDau Creations - Cat said...

Great interview! Dayanra what an inspirational story.

Cat

October 24, 2008 at 7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything is SO cute!! I love the bunnies, the pumpkin and gourd and the bear!! They are just adorable! I love your style and the simplicity of your toys...why have I never bought anything from you??? :0) That is about to change!

October 24, 2008 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger TheSingingBird said...

very sweet style in your softies! so glad you are here :)

October 24, 2008 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger LittleElf said...

Loved reading this, great article. It's wonderful to get to know you better Dayanara. ^_^

Hugs,
Elfie

October 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. such lovely photos and cute little softies!

October 25, 2008 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Life in the 20 acre woods said...

I love Dayanara's critters, (how cute is that princess!) and I love getting to know other team members. Thank you for the interview, and nice to meet you, Dayanara!

October 28, 2008 at 2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home