This page has moved to a new address.

BreadMan BakeOFF!!!

Natural Kids: BreadMan BakeOFF!!!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

BreadMan BakeOFF!!!

It was a tough weekend for me. The hubby went to the moutains with some buddies. I had to cart the kiddos to so many activities. Between getting the yard ready for winter, basketball games, Nutcracker practices, church, preparing every single meal, and trying to sew some dollies - I pretty much felt like going insane...

How do single parents do it? Seriously! I was exhausted after three days...

One of the activities that helped me entertain the children and keep my sanity was baking the breadmen! I had never ever tried to make these from scratch. In Germany they were handed out to me as a kid. The local bakery makes them and hands them out for free!


So we made breadmen according to the recipe I posted here last week (SEE my post from last Wednesday!). Here are some pictures of how they turned out. The children loved making them. Enjoy!

Now you must try it! So much fun! We substituted the raisins with chocolate M&Ms in places. The color ran and made for some gruesome color on the mouths of our breadpeople. The kids also complained how the raisins popped up and burned to a crisp in the oven.
How in the world do German bakers do it? I really should have become an apprentice to a baker after finishing highschool in Germany. It would have been so much more useful here in America.
I miss German baked goodies so much!

So please join in the big BREADMAN BAKEOFF this week! Send me pictures and a little report about how your attempt to make them went, and I will enter you in a drawing for one of my Wee Pocketdolls!
Please send by next Tuesday - so I can post them here and enter your name in the drawing!




Happy Baking!


Ulla


Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your breadmen look fab!! I also made them with my son. I'll see if I can dig up a picture! They didn't look nearly as nice as your though. Plus, their limbs kept falling off. Poor chaps. :)

P.S. I soaked my raisins in lukewarm water for an hour or so before decorating my men. They didn't burn! Worth a try perhaps next time. :)

November 12, 2008 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger germandolls said...

Thanks for the tip with the raisins soaked in water! I will definitely try that next time!

November 12, 2008 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger cozycottage said...

Those are fabulous!! I love baking with my kids! They get really into it and want to do it all themselves. I swear my 5 year old will be a chef one day - maybe a baker making German yummies (she is 1/4 German after all!)

We will definitely give your recipe a try Ulla - but probably not until December. I'll send you photos then!

November 13, 2008 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger Laura Bray said...

Thanks for leaving your sweet message on my blog today! I'm glad the newsletter helped you! Ugh! My husband leaves for a week soon-I know your pain.

November 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger TheSingingBird said...

so cute! i wish i had the time to bake, but it will have to wait

November 13, 2008 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger mosey handmade said...

look at those bread men! so so cute and a charming story too!
xo

November 14, 2008 at 7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's ours! Please enter us in the contest :)

http://faerierebecca.blogspot.com/2008/11/breadmen.html

November 14, 2008 at 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, I've got a picture of one of our breadmen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meike/3026564443/

:)

Have a great day,
Meike

November 15, 2008 at 3:49 AM  
Blogger BirchLeaf Designs - Wendy and Mojo said...

Thanks for encouraging us to bake, Ulla! Here are Kiah and Milo's versions of the breadmen...
http://birchleafdesigns.blogspot.com/
Please enter us in your drawing ;)

November 16, 2008 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger D'Andrea (pupapupa) said...

we did it! the kids were reluctant to roll their lumps of dough as they enjoyed the kneading part the best. Decorated with cranberries and they were fine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dandreabowie/3036932350/in/photostream/

I'm sure I'll be scraping up bits of dried up dough off of most surfaces in kitchen for the next week but worth every bit of it. Thanks for fun activity.

November 16, 2008 at 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

November 21, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home