This page has moved to a new address.

Recipe: Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

Natural Kids: Recipe: Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Recipe: Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

I'm sure you've all been wondering: "She posts all these recipes, but what does Emily eat?" Lose sleep no longer: here is my new favorite muffin recipe. Just sharing it with you means I have to make them for breakfast. This article was posted over on my blog, Yarn Miracle.

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins



You’ve probably got everything you need in your pantry and ‘fridge. That’s my favorite thing about this recipe – besides the deliciousness. The recipe makes 12. Ellie and I usually half it. She’s going to be good at fractions.

* 3/4 c. some kind of milk (I used almond this time. I like almond milk.)
* 1/2 t. apple cider vinegar

Stir the vinegar into the milk and give it a few minutes to curdle up like buttermilk. Then add:

* 1 c. applesauce (we used unsweetened)
* 3 T. canola oil
* 1/2 c. brown sugar

And stir everything well to combine. Dump in the dry stuff:

* 1 1/2 c. AP flour (we used whole wheat pastry flour this time)
* 2 t. baking powder
* 1/2 t. baking soda
* 1 t. ground cinnamon
* 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
* 1/2 t. salt
* 1 scant cup of oatmeal

Note: the original recipe wants 3/4 c. of oat bran. But you can’t get oat bran at our Winn Dixie so we went with oatmeal.

Mix everything up until it is just combined. Ellie was helping, so the pictured batch is over-mixed and didn’t rise as well as it could have. Looks aren’t everything.

Scoop the batter into a greased muffin pan (or cupcake liners if the condition of your muffin pan is starting to Concern you) and pop it in a 350F oven for 30 minutes. Don’t be afraid to let them get a little dark – it makes the tops crunchy yummy omnomnom.

The original muffin recipe is found in Veganomicon. If I could only have one animal-free cookbook, Veganomicon would be it. The majority of the recipes are for things Ellie actually eats and use ingredients that can be found in a grocery store. My kid is a less picky eater than some, but what two year old eats Kumquat and Chipotle Relish on a Bed of Kale?

I totally made that last one up.

Yarn Miracle specializes in comfortable, conscious companion animals hand knit from natural, sustainable, humanely grown fibers and fillings. Every purchase of a full sized Companion or Itty Bitty Playset helps real companion animals (the kind that eat kibble and shed) find homes through Emily's local humane society BARC.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous the sleepy time gal said...

those muffins look totally easy! we just made oat cookies with rolled oats and blended oats (that act as the flour.) they were great.

September 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

This looks yummy. Thanks for posting the recipe.

September 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger germandolls said...

I love muffins! In fact they call me the muffin lady over here...
I like the idea of teaching kids math and fractions by making only half of a recipe. =)

September 29, 2010 at 7:06 AM  
Blogger mrsbeccijo said...

Yummmmmm...
I will have to try this with some gluten free flour!
Beccijo

October 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger * said...

i love the photo of the muffins.

October 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Melanie Schoenhut said...

This recipe is so easy. I am just starting my kids to teach baking so I need simple recipe. Maybe I will teach this recipe of yours to them. Thanks a lot. By the way it really looks delicious.

October 7, 2010 at 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Rose Gold said...

I never heard of gluten free flour before. Better try it also in my cupcakes and muffins even with my cookies. Thanks for sharing your simple and easy recipe.

October 15, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home