This page has moved to a new address.

Friday Feature with Eve's Little Earthlings

Natural Kids: Friday Feature with Eve's Little Earthlings

Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday Feature with Eve's Little Earthlings

Today's interview is with Eve, of Eve's Little Earthlings. Enjoy!

Tell us little about yourself!
I live in a small Ontario city with my husband, 2 teenage kids, dog, cat and 5 chickens.  We have an ‘urban farm’ in our backyard and are working to become self sufficient year round in vegetables and fruit.  I ran a waldorf inspired daycare for 10 years.  That is when I got interested in making toys from repurposed, natural materials.
What do you make, & how long have you been creating?

I make all kinds of small toy animals, toy animal habitats and playmats.  I’ve been building up my collection gradually over the last 10 years.  I started by making North American woodland animals, but now I also make some African and Australian animals too!

What inspires you?

I am inspired by nature, trees and the sweet intelligence of all creatures.

What got you started working with repurposed sweaters?

I am passionate about not wasting our precious resources.  Old sweaters are soft and warm, they have a beautiful stretch and sew nicely.  It is fun shopping for sweaters.  You never know what you might find and how it might inspire a new item.


How long have you been on Etsy, & how has it been for you so far?

I have been here at Etsy for just over a year.  Things have been gradually getting busier, although there are stretches when it seems that nothing is happening!

What advice would you have for other Etsians?

Learn to take great photos and relist or add new items often.   Don’t be afraid to try making new things and schedule some creative time every week. Keep plugging away and don’t be discouraged if things sell right away.   Read the forums and Etsy’s tips for good advice.

What do you hope to learn/gain/contribute from being part of the Natural Kids group?

I was hoping to make friendships within the group and connect with some people who are doing the same things that I am. The team makes me feel like I’m not alone during the day.

What thoughts do you have for parents on the importance of natural toys for creative play?

Children will cherish their toys if they are beautifully and carefully made with love.  I chose to give  my children and the children I cared for with well made toys that nurtured quiet imaginative play.
They learned to care for their toys and not think of them as disposable junk.  I think this fosters a positive attitude towards the environment and helps them to question our consumer society as they grow up.

Your links:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/eveslittleearthlings
http://www.facebook.com/#!/EvesLittleEarthlings
http://poppytalkhandmade.com/table44  (currently, until the end of November)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

Thank you Eve!
This interview was by Kat, of kats in the belfry.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

They are adorable, I haven't come across this lovely little store...so beautiful..

November 26, 2010 at 6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eve is so super talented. I will definitely check out her store. Thanks for sharing

November 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home